30 May 2010

Good-bye, Navel Ring

We took my navel ring out today. I've had it for over ten years with not a sign of infection or even discomfort, but my expanding stomach has proved to be too much. The area was turning red and while a nurse told me it wasn't infected, it definitely started to have a bruised feeling, especially when something brushed up against it. So Mike grabbed some pliers, I held my breath and closed my eyes because I thought that such an amateur attempt might hurt, but within seconds the procedure was finished, painlessly. I put the ring away as a keepsake for the baby book some day. And maybe after ten years it's time for a new one.

I think some of the achiness I've been feeling in my abdomen lately has been coming from the ring, not from any internal doings. I sleep with my stomach leaned up against a pillow, and when I did so for a nap this afternoon I felt much more comfortable than I have the last few evenings.

It's been a part of me for so long, but it was time to let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis