08 January 2012

Crafty: Pillowcase Dress


I'd been reading about the pillowcase dress for a couple weeks and I decided to find out what it was all about. A quick Google search and a few pins on Pinterest later, and I had my first pillowcase dress for Muffin complete.

I used the tutorial from Naptime Crafts. For this first one I did not use an actual pillowcase, but I might for the next one. Rather than do side seams, I kept the fabric folded in half from the first cut and made the one seam a center back seam. I like to be able to tell the back from the front easily. I used grosgrain ribbon to finish the armhole edges rather than folding the edges. You could also use bias tape. Since the fabric had a finished border edge, there was no hemming involved!
Center back seam
Eyelet border
I love this quick, easy dress. Since the shoulder ties are adjustable, this will grow with Muffin into a top as she gets taller.

I could easily sew up all my scrap fabric into a whole collection of them. But I'm going to restrain myself. I'll make a few, to experiment with different lengths and trims. There are plenty of different patterns to make with my scraps. (I received more patterns in the mail Friday and already started cutting out a few things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis