25 June 2010

Packing a Bag

I was poking around at some pregnancy-and-mom forums this morning and came across a thread of women talking about packing their bag for the hospital. This had never occurred to me. I'm nearly 34 weeks, and some of these women have had their bags packed since around week 30. Sure, there's something to be said for being prepared for an emergency. But in my mind being prepared for emergencies means having enough bottled water and canned goods stocked in case of earthquakes or other natural disasters, or having a suitcase packed for evacuation from a politically unstable third-world country. Going to the hospital (in a modern, developed nation) for something routine like childbirth hadn't popped up on my contingency-planning radar until reading about it this morning.

I guess I'll pull out my airplane carry-on bag and replace a few things. What things, I'm not quite sure other than pajamas and clean underwear. Maybe some snacks. I'm not in the mindset of packing for two yet, but some baby outfits and diapers would probably be a good idea.

What goes into a hospital-stay bag?

1 comment:

  1. First of all, LOVE the new blog background!! Totally. Adorable.

    Second of all, you're not really packing a bag in case you have normal-onset, regular labor. You have AMPLE warning for bag packing for that sort of thing. In fact, you end up sort of wandering around your house, timing your contractions, etc. (Or I guess some ladies may go into labor at work and want their bags in their cars for just in case.)

    For you, I'm thinking you'd want a bag for rapid-onset type stuff... like SURPRISE! Two weeks early, out of nowhere, you're out shopping and your water breaks! In that event, you'll want to go straight to the hospital, and you won't be in the mindframe to pack a bag, you know?

    So I say... a couple changes of clothes for a post-pregnancy you... granny undies... HEFTY pads that you actually like (the ones the hospital give you used to suck massive, but times may have changed)... your going-home outfit for the baby... keep your camera(s) handy... maybe baby blanket or whatever... those sorts of things.

    So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis